Friday, August 05, 2005

The Kid in Montreal playing in a Golf Tournament

For those that don’t know “the Kid” my first profession is that of a professional golfer. I have been a pro golfer for ten years now and I have been traveling across the U.S. playing various mini tours and tournaments. This past week I was in Montreal, Quebec trying to qualify for a Canadian Tour event “The Montreal Open”. The qualifier was on Monday and I had played a couple of practice rounds on the Saturday and Sunday to get ready for the big show. Monday comes and I’m up real early to get ready for my 7:45 tee time.

The time comes for the kid to hit his first tee shot of the qualifier. The nerves were pretty good just a few butterflies goin through my stomach as per usual on the first tee of a pretty big tourney. I stepped up and hit it right down the pipe. The weather was pretty nice temperature wise but the wind was gusting and this golf course was a pure links course with fescue everywhere, so the wind would definitely play a factor in the scores. Back to the round I started off like a house on fire with three birdies right out of the gate, to get to three under. On the fourth hole I ripped a driver right down the middle but when I got to my ball I hit a little further than I thought and I was in a goddamn pot bunker. I tried to be a hero and go for it instead of laying up and that cost me. I made a quick double bogey and now I’ve fallen back to one under par. I made the turn (after nine holes) I was one over par. Not happy at all at this point since where I was after three holes but I knew there was plenty of time left to get going. I was playing real solid on the back nine and gave myself numerous opportunities to make birdies, but like so many before me and after me the putts just didn’t want to go in the hole. I’m one over par through sixteen holes and playing real well, I ripped my tee shot on 17 to where I thought would be perfect and again I found myself in a pot bunker. Real pissed when I got up there and saw the ball in the goddamn bunker. I proceed to lay up this time and I would eventually make a bogey to go to two over par for the round with one hole to go. I knew by the way the course was playing and the conditions that if I par 18 I’m in the tournament. I hit a great drive on 18, but then I hit a freakin horrible golf shot for my second and left myself in a little bit of a predicament to getting up and down to save my par. Needless to say I didn’t get up and down and I finished with a three over par 75. Not too Brad but not that great either. I was on the bubble of getting into the event.

Eventually I would be on the alternate list for the event and I would go to a playoff to determine which number alternate I would be. For those that don’t know about alternates its basically a designation you are given and you show up on the first day of the event and hope somebody doesn’t make it. So I would win the playoff and I was the second alternate for the tournament. The first alternate shot 74 so he wasn’t included in the playoff.

My buddy Cobster (who was my caddy) and I show up Thursday morning for the first round. We got there at 6:30 to get ready for the first tee time just in case. The first alternate eventually got in at around 9:30 and I was next on the list. I’m getting pretty pumped because I can feel that I’ve got a pretty good chance of getting in and right now my game is feeling really good. The tee times go until two thirty so there is plenty of time left. We waited and waited and waited until the very last tee time and my name was not called. I was so pissed at this point that I just freakin bolted to the parking lot and threw my shit in the car and got the hell out of there. What a disappointment so close but yet so far. The worst thing was that I worked my ass off all week to get ready and I really felt if I got in I was gonna put together a special week. As a professional golfer I know when my game is peaking and if I’m ready or not, and this week I had the most confidence as I’ve ever had on a golf course. Its unfortunate that I didn’t get to put my skills to the test this week but there will be other times down the road.

If you found "The Kid in Montreal playing in a Golf Tournament" interesting, please share it with others by bookmarking it at the following sites:

Bookmark The Kid in Montreal playing in a Golf Tournament at del.icio.us Digg The Kid in Montreal playing in a Golf Tournament at Digg.com Bookmark The Kid in Montreal playing in a Golf Tournament at Spurl.net Bookmark The Kid in Montreal playing in a Golf Tournament with wists Bookmark The Kid in Montreal playing in a Golf Tournament at Simpy.com Bookmark The Kid in Montreal playing in a Golf Tournament at NewsVine Blink this The Kid in Montreal playing in a Golf Tournament at blinklist.com Bookmark The Kid in Montreal playing in a Golf Tournament at Furl.net Bookmark The Kid in Montreal playing in a Golf Tournament at reddit.com Fark The Kid in Montreal playing in a Golf Tournament at Fark.com Bookmark The Kid in Montreal playing in a Golf Tournament at blogmarks Bookmark The Kid in Montreal playing in a Golf Tournament at YahooMyWeb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

b